Judge J. Miles Hanisee
Since 2011, I have been privileged to serve as a Judge on the New Mexico Court of Appeals. My appointment to the position by Governor Susana Martinez in July 2011 and December 2012 followed the recommendations of separate bipartisan Judicial Nominating Commissions. In addition to my responsibilities on the bench, all judges must stand for election in one partisan race following appointment. With your help, I intend to seek certification as both a candidate and a participant in New Mexico’s Public Election Fund, which will allow my campaign to avoid all contributions from lawyers and law corporations. I ask only for your vote in the general election in November 2014.
Experience is the single most important qualification for any appellate judge. My twenty-year career as a lawyer in New Mexico demonstrates a diversity of practice that includes service as a federal prosecutor, criminal defense attorney, civil practitioner and federal appellate law clerk. In numerous jury trials and dozens of appeals, I represented the United States and individuals throughout and outside of New Mexico. My efforts brought justice to victims of violent crime, particularly on the many Reservations and Pueblos throughout our state. The experience I gained in opinion writing and appellate litigation is perfectly suited to my new responsibilities, and my balanced legal background is testament to my recognition that the constitutional freedoms which define our society, and which guarantee us the individual liberties that make us a free nation, apply equally to each person that comes before the Courts.
The Court of Appeals plays a crucial role in your community and within the New Mexico judiciary. We determine whether criminal convictions throughout New Mexico are to be upheld, whether civil lawsuits were correctly decided in district courts, and consider the constitutionality and legality of rulings involving families, workers, property, legislation and state resources. My record on the court over the past two years reflects my dedication to the rule of law, independence, and attention to the things that matter to you. I invite you to visit the Opinions link on this page to review my written work on behalf of the Court of Appeals.
I hope to continue to serve as a Judge on the New Mexico Court of Appeals. It is my honor to work for you, and it is a personal joy to be allowed to do so. I humbly ask that you vote to Keep Judge Hanisee in 2014!
- Appointed by Governor Susana Martinez – 7/2011 and 12/2012
- Recommended to Court of Appeals by Bipartisan Judicial Nominating Commission
- Judge, New Mexico Court of Appeals – 2011-present.
- Private Practitioner, Law Office of J. Miles Hanisee LLC – 2007-2011.
- Civil, Criminal, Administrative, and Appellate Law
- Assistant United States Attorney – 1996-2007
- Criminal Prosecutor — Violent Crimes, Narcotics, Firearms, and Asset Crimes
- Pueblo of Zuni Circle Project Coordinator
- Recognized by Federal Bureau of Investigation; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives; and Department of Veterans Affairs for lead role on major prosecutions
- Law Clerk – United States Court of Appeals Tenth Circuit – 1994-1996
- Judicial Extern – United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit – 1992
- State Bar of New Mexico
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico
- United States Court of Appeals: Tenth and Seventh Circuits
- Juris Doctor – Pepperdine University School of Law – 1993
- Merit Scholar
- Law Review
- American Jurisprudence Award – Criminal Law
- Publication: An Economic View of Innovation and Property Right Protection in the Expanded Regulatory State, Volume 20 Pepperdine Law Review
- Bachelor of Arts – Louisiana State University – 1990
- Dean’s List
- Honors Program Participant
Paid For By the Committee To Keep Judge J. Miles Hanisee, Gina Maestas, Treasurer, Post Office Box 20784, Albuquerque, NM 87154