Judge J. Miles Hanisee
Since 2011, I have been privileged to serve as a Judge on the New Mexico Court of Appeals. Bipartisan Judicial Nominating Commissions in 2011 and 2012 recommended to Governor Susana Martinez that I be appointed, and twice she has followed their advice and entrusted me with the responsibilities of the bench. In addition to serving all New Mexicans, each appointed judge must stand for election in the next partisan race within their jurisdiction. I ask for your vote in the statewide general election on November 4, 2014.
Experience is the single most important qualification for any appellate judge. My twenty-year career as a lawyer, and now judge, in New Mexico demonstrates a diversity of practice that has included service as a federal prosecutor, criminal defense attorney, civil practitioner, appellate lawyer and federal appellate law clerk. In numerous jury trials and dozens of appeals, I represented the United States and individuals throughout and outside of New Mexico. My efforts brought justice to victims of violent crime, particularly on the many Reservations and Pueblos located within our state. My experience is testament to my recognition that the constitutional freedoms which define our society, and which guarantee us the individual liberties that guarantee our freedom, apply equally to each person that comes before the Courts.
Please enjoy my website and take the opportunity to learn more about the important role of the Court of Appeals in your community and within the New Mexico judiciary! I invite you to review the many opinions I have authored on behalf of our court. I hope you find that my record over the past three years reflects independence, dedication to the rule of law, and attention to things that matter to you.
It is my honor to work for you, and it is a personal joy to be allowed to do so. I humbly ask that you vote to Keep Judge Hanisee in 2014!
- Appointed in 2011 and 2012 by Governor Susana Martinez
- Recommended for appointment by separate Bipartisan Judicial Nominating Commissions
- Judge, New Mexico Court of Appeals – 2011-present.
- Private Practitioner, Law Office of J. Miles Hanisee LLC – 2007-2011.
- Civil, Criminal, Administrative, and Appellate Law
- Assistant United States Attorney – 1996-2007
- Civil Rights Coordinator
- Criminal Prosecutor — Violent Crimes, Narcotics, Firearms, and Asset Crimes
- Pueblo of Zuni Circle Project Coordinator
- Recognized by Federal Bureau of Investigation; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives; and Department of Veterans Affairs for lead role on major prosecutions
- Law Clerk – United States Court of Appeals Tenth Circuit – 1994-1996
- Judicial Extern – United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit – 1992
- State Bar of New Mexico
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico
- United States Court of Appeals: Tenth and Seventh Circuits
- Juris Doctor – Pepperdine University School of Law – 1993
- Merit Scholar
- Law Review
- American Jurisprudence Award – Criminal Law
- Publication: An Economic View of Innovation and Property Right Protection in the Expanded Regulatory State, Volume 20 Pepperdine Law Review
- Bachelor of Arts – Louisiana State University – 1990
- Dean’s List
- Honors Program Participant
Paid For By the Committee To Keep Judge J. Miles Hanisee, Gina Maestas, Treasurer, Post Office Box 20784, Albuquerque, NM 87154